Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Being the Body


January was a month filled with lessons in humility and trust. 3 weeks without a car left me completely dependent on others not only to take me to and from school each day, but also to provide me with a place to stay. (My house is too far away to get rides to/from there daily.) Additionally, a number of serious migraines left me completely incapacitated. It was during that time which I was overwhelmed by the body of Christ loving through actions and not only words. I cannot express the gratitude I felt toward the Lord for placing such individuals in my life nor toward those individuals for willingness to help in any and every way. So…what does the body of Christ look like in action? I’d venture to say the following:

It looks like a family opening their home to someone in need of a place to stay indefinitely.

It looks like an individual giving up her bed for days so that another might have a comfortable place to stay.

It looks like rides to and from work, and cars loaned out to individuals in need of transportation.

It looks like visiting a friend’s sick mother in the hospital, though she’s unconscious and may never know you were there.

It looks like calling for appointments, and taking the sick to the doctor and to have tests run.

It looks like bringing dinner to a friend who is too sick to get out of bed...your bed, at that.

It looks like heartfelt prayers in any language.

It looks like phone calls and e-mails of encouragement.

It looks like providing for physical needs, be they financial or otherwise.

It looks like a hug on a hard day. And on a good one.

It looks like making one feel like family.

It looks like sincere love for others.

To all those who have helped me during the ups and downs of life in Guatemala, THANK YOU! And to those who have prayed for me, even from hundreds or thousands of miles away, know that you are being the Body in a very real way too, and I appreciate every prayer prayed on my behalf! I couldn't be here doing what I am, without you!




No comments: