Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Signing Makes Me Smile

A little over 10 years ago I fell in love with Sign Language. I’d learned little words here and there, and I’d always been fascinated by how I could fingerspell using the alphabet to get away with talking when told to be silent, but in July 2001, I really caught the passion for it. That was the first time I’d ever observed and been taught to use Sign Language in worship. I couldn’t get enough of it. From then on, I was determined to continue studying sign language so that I could also use it in worship one day. And that’s just what I did.

Making due with whatever books I could get my hands on or internet sites I could find, I studied. Eventually the hard work began to pay off. At a youth retreat only a year and a half later, I was given my first opportunity to interpret in sign language. I’ll be honest, that first attempt was pretty terrible. But once I got the nerves out, the other couple sessions I interpreted went much smoother. After that, I just couldn’t get enough.

Throughout the years, I worked with a hearing-impaired 4th grader as a teacher’s aid in England, interpreted worship music as a part of the Trinity Baptist Church (Germany) praise team, interpreted during Sunday School for a boy with a communication disorder and later a deaf child adopted from Haiti at First Alliance Church in Kentucky, worked with a deaf kindergartner as a student teacher in Kentucky, and did some interpreting for a deaf boy at my “home church” Iglesia Buatista Agape in Illinois. The opportunities to sign came and went, but I enjoyed them all.

Then, I moved to Guatemala. I love Guatemala, and I love Spanish, but I didn’t realize how much I’d miss sign language. Eventually, I began interpreting the worship at church from Spanish to English and then into sign language (after a while this became a quick process I hardly realized I was doing). It was nice to be able to sign during worship again, but it wasn’t the same.

Last May, I attended Iglesia Biblico El Camino for the first time. Unknowingly, I sat in the deaf/signing section. Though I hadn’t intended to sit in that area, God knew just what He was doing in opening up a seat for me there. I was overwhelmed with joy to not only see sign language being used in worship again, but to see such a large group of people worshiping in that way!

After spending the summer in the U.S., I returned to IBEC and jumped right into the sign class that had started just before my summer break. After a few Saturday’s of attending class for 3 hours, rather than the regular 2, I was mostly caught up. Learning Guatemalan sign has been such an adventure. Even after the most frustrating classes, I’ve been so thankful for the opportunity to learn. And every Sunday I am overcome with joy as I join with a group of believers—hearing and not—that share the passion for praising God with their hands. It's a beautiful thing thing to see, and a wonderful experience to share with my sisters and brothers in Christ.

No comments: